Sunset Terrace SessionsSeptember 28, 2023
Celebrating Cavalli MenOctober 31, 2023
Reflecting on the past
Lauren Smith, owner and Managing Director of Cavalli Estate reflects on 10 significant milestones over the past decade managing Cavalli Estate.
As we embark on a journey through the last ten years of Cavalli Estate’s rich history, we find ourselves in the privileged company of Lauren Smith, the visionary owner and Managing Director who has masterfully steered the ship through the waters of time. In this retrospective exploration, we’ll delve into the heart and soul of this extraordinary estate, uncovering the milestones, triumphs, and challenges that have shaped it into the icon it is today.
10 significant milestones:
- Refining the style of Cavalli wines and gaining favour with local and international critics and awards.
- Consistently recognized as one of the top venues in South Africa. Offering a superior product containing service, and cuisine and offering a contemporary and timeless space.
- Constantly refining our service and cuisine and after years, reached the pinnacle of culinary excellence. Executive chef Lucas Carstens has found the counterbalance between refined, creative cuisine with a comforting quality that feels and stays familiar to locals and foreigners.
- Surviving and overcoming the pandemic with all its challenges and restrictions. And so, retaining all 100 employees.
- Shaping the dream team to all drive the same goals.
- Inclusion into the WWF Conservation Champions of South Africa.
- Creating a man-made habitat of Cape fauna and flora of 10 hectares.
- Winning multiple National and International wine awards.
- Some of my proudest moments were winning:
- Cavalli Restaurant: Gourmet Guide 2020 ranked Top 25 Dining Establishment
- Cavalli Restaurant: TripAdvisor’s People’s Choice Award – Top 10 Fine Dining Establishment in SA.
- Cavalli Estate: Great Wine Capitals Best of Wine Tourism award for Architecture and Landscapes.
- Cavalli Gallery: Great Wine Capitals Best of Wine Tourism award for Art & Culture.
- Cavalli Restaurant: South Africa’s most stylish restaurant: Eat Out Mercedes Benz Restaurant Awards.
- Cavalli is one of only 3 South African establishments to make it onto Food & Wine’s international “GO List”, a significant global accolade.
- The dream has always been to establish Cavalli as the number 1 destination in South Africa. Watch this space.